Monday, August 04, 2008

In Remembrance...


This past weekend Kirk and I drove down to Indian Wells to celebrate the life our our dear friend Lindsey Sowles. About three months ago, Lindsey was diagnosed with a rare form of Soft Tissue Sarcoma. She was 21 and was an active member of the community. While we were at her services we quickly realized the amount of lives that Lindsey had impacted. There seemed to be close to a thousand people there. The service was absolutely beautiful with slideshows and music sung by some of our amazing friends. The people that spoke really touched your heart and gave you a glimpse into Lindsey's life. The whole thing seemed so surreal. I was talking to a friend after the service and just said, the it seemed as if this was supposed to be her wedding, not her funeral. We felt like she would walk in the room any minute with her beautiful smile and she would meet her fiance at the alter.
The whole thing was such an emotional roller coaster. We laughed, we cried, we laughed again. The one thing I was most amazed by was her mom. Debbie and I became pretty close while we worked together at Southwest Community Church and I've always known her to be an incredibly strong woman who was deeply rooted in the Lord. Nothing has changed. When we greeted her and gave our condolences, she simply replied with a "thank you and it's ok. I know she is with the Lord and I would rather her be there than in that hospital." Being a mom now, I could hardly imagine what it would be like to lose my son. I don't even want to think about it.
Debbie's strength is such a testimony to her relationship with the Lord and how at peace Lindsey was in her last days on this earth. Whenever someone I know passes away, I can't help but think about my own life and how the Lord blesses me every morning with breath. That in itself is a daily miracle. To know that she has done all that she could on this earth is an amazing thought. That there is nothing else the Lord wanted her to do here, that He said, ok it's my turn again. Wow. How amazing.
So I write this blog in honor of Lindsey, and the Sowles family. You are in our daily prayers. Thank you for how you have impacted our lives. And we love you dearly.

1 comment:

Cath said...

Lindsey,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the memorial this last Friday. I was moved beyond words by everything that day. I am still thinking about so many things. I am thankful for precious Lindsey Sowles and her family - and you are so right about Debbie - what a woman of the Lord she is and such an example for us all. It was great to see you Lindsey and I hope to have coffee at Panera sometime soon.
Blessings and love,
Cath